My Top Ten Museums : 3 - Camel Museum, Bikaner




For the 3rd museum in my list, come with me to Bikaner. 


The camel was domesticated some 4000 years ago in Yemen and it made its way into India through Alexander’s army in circa 300 BC. Ever since I read Campbell’s Dromedary in school, the camel has been an animal of enduring fascination for me. So when I was in Bikaner, a visit to National Camel Research Centre was obligatory. And attached to the centre, is a compact museum that celebrates the camel. 


Here you can learn to distinguish between Jaisalmeri and Bikaneri, two of the four Indian breeds of the one-humped camel; other two being Kachchi and Mewari. 


So, why is this such a big deal when we have the Internet? Because you can practise your learning by trying to identify the breed among the 400 and odd animals in the sprawling NCRC campus. And when you are weary of that, you can refresh yourself with scoops of Kumbhat Kulfi, made from camel (Kumbhat in Sanskrit) milk.


There is a shop selling bags and jewellery made out of camel hide and bones, for taking away as souvenirs. 


While at the centre, I nearly got locked inside a camel coral with tens of animals. But that is another story.

Comments

Popular Posts