TWTW (29/7-4/8)


The week that ended yesterday was very rewarding. What better than preserving the memories of it for future inspiration by blogging about it?

The week began on a train. I was returning from Bangalore after experiencing the awe-inspiring Shivanasamudra Falls. Long distance rail journeys are so therapeutic, watching life pass by through the window. Somewhere near Gulbarga I witnessed a strange rail crossing. Our train reversed itself into a siding to let another train trundle past us. Back home I learned that this is a rare Scissor Crossing, used when there isn’t adequate space to construct a proper loop. So, the rail buff within me was nicely tickled.

The week was also good for the cinema buff inside me. Village Rockstars (IE Film Club) was a Felliniesque view of life in an Assamese village, ravaged annually by floods. It was a happy film with a tinge of melancholy. My kind of cinema. The director, Reema Das was present for Q&A at the end. She said Assamese people have learnt that floods are part of their life and take it in their stride. The Bourne Ultimatum (MN+) was the other film. Fast and frenetic, famous for its editing.

But this week was dominated by test match cricket. England played their 1000th test against India at Edgbaston. What a humdinger it was! For the first time I really wanted Kohli and his boys to win. And felt sad when we fell short 31 runs short on the 4th day a little before lunch. It was such an absorbing match, that I skipped two not so important engagements not to miss the action. Delighted to hear Kohli speak highly about the test match format in his post-match interview. The commentary was excellent and I learned about the Duke Ball, which tends to swing only after 15-20 overs.

Celebrated 9 years in twitter during the course of this week. There is no denying that I am addicted to twitter. And I wonder how long it will last. The addiction is completely irrational because my tweets hardly get any traction.

A new month began during the course of this week. And it presented a good opportunity to make new resolutions. One of them is to read a short story every day. Another one also concerns reading – read at least 15 pages of this humungous book that is styled like a history text book – India’s War. Even without these resolutions it was a good week for reading. Read lot of poetry on Kindle in the train – Coleridge, Tennyson, Wordsworth, Shelley, Keats. And a couple of long essays on the Internet – Sex and Hotels, Losing Earth.

While reviewing the waterfall photos, I realised my folly. The falls were milky even to the naked eye and so there was no need for me to go really low on shutter speeds. Mindless application of theory.

I had a deadline this week. Evaluating entries from 13 companies on their energy conservation efforts. Some of them didn’t follow the format making my task stressful. Finally, it was easy to make up my mind. Those who reduced more got more marks in my table. The committee meeting to decide the winners reached a quick consensus. In another committee meeting, the chairman shamelessly kept plugging his agenda and I decided to speak out and put him in place.

The week placed a dilemma before me. Just when I steeled up my mind for a trip to the capital, news arrived about an assignment. Freelancers have to be flexible.

News about scorching summer across Europe provided the idea for my column this month – Carbon dioxide sequestration.

I must end on a depressing note. My good friend openly admits to depression. I have lost the will to live, he told me. I have a new challenge now.


Comments

Popular Posts