48 Hours in Train


I had to go to Bangalore at short notice. Airfares had reached stratospheric heights. So, I opted for the train, not the least deterred by the ~24 hours each way. I love train journeys, even if it is a much-travelled route. And I had time on my hands.

I had packed Kindle and iPod for the journey. But neither of them was used. I spent the time in reflection and introspection. I observed people, both inside the train and on the platforms, and overheard conversations. I sensed a gamut of emotions in people’s faces and voices. I watched the countryside pass by my window - unploughed fields, ripening sugarcane, belching chimneys, solar farms, windmills, rivers drying up. I soaked up the sights and smells of the railway. 

I took some pictures with the phone camera. It is never easy to get good pictures from a speeding train through dirty windows. But time and light conspired sometimes to give decent pictures.

The best was this on the famous long curve near Gooty.



The gigantic hyperbolic cooling towers of the Raichur power plant have always been on my bucket list to shoot from a running train.




This windmill on the Maharashtra – Karnataka border was a real bonus. 



Sometimes the blur gives the feeling of a painting.




But the most rewarding moment was spotting this quotation at Dudhane Railway Station. If only we all could emulate it! Translation: If you want to lead a long life, make a habit of not eating till you are really hungry. 



The coaches are scrupulously cleaned these days. Close on the heels of the cleaner came his supervisor, a book in hand, asking for feedback. Couple of passengers rudely refused to entertain him. He latched on to me and I obliged with a 9 out of 10 rating. He wanted 10 since I said I was happy with the cleaning. But I never give full marks, because there is always some room for improvement. Even God isn’t perfect! He was happy with my explanation.

Comments

Popular Posts