Simply Stunning

 


Last week I explored the Kalyani Chalukyan architecture of temples in and around Gadag, Northern Karnataka.

The most striking architectural elements of these temples, built between the 10th and 12th centuries, were the pillars. They were simply stunning.

The circular geometrical patterns, the ornate carvings, the intricate floral patterns and finally that polish! It was as if they were constructed just the other day!

Notes at the heritage centre / archaeological museum informed me that the Chalukyas primarily used locally available soapstone (chloritic schist), a material that was relatively soft and easy to carve when freshly quarried but hardened when exposed to air.

Some pillars, particularly the ones with rounded and smooth shafts, display a high degree of symmetry and precision, which is difficult to achieve purely by hand. Many pillars have uniform grooves, flutes, and decorative bands that run around the circumference. This suggests the use of a rotating mechanism, like a lathe, to shape the pillars.

I will let my photographs speak for themselves.









I am dedicating this post to my good friend, the beautiful @MusingGee , who gently keeps suggesting that I don't blog enough. 


Comments

Popular Posts