Jodhpur's Joy - Meherengarh Fort

Reached Jodhpur early in the morning by a night train from Biknaer. Signs of a sandstorm hung thick in the air. I saw Meherengarh Fort for the first time while having morning tea in the roof top restaurant of my hotel, a former haveli. It was an impressive sight.

After fortifying myself with a dry-fruit enriched poha, I went to the fort. I did not drive up to the fort gate as almost everybody was doing; but climbed the steep rocky path for 20 minutes. Similarly came down by the long winding motorable road; another 20 minute walk. So I can proudly claim to have conquered the fort.

There is so much to see inside the fort – the museum and the palaces. The entrance fee is Rs50 plus additional Rs100 for the camera. A leisurely stroll of absorbing the details and photography pit stops will take 90 minutes. Some of the rooms inside the palace are breathtakingly beautiful. From the top of the fort, you realize why Jodhpur is known by the epithet of “Blue City”; many houses in close vicinity to the fort are painted blue.



After descending the fort, I ambled over to Jaswant Thada, a cenotaph in white marble. Lovely but nothing spectacular; can be missed if you are pressed for time.

Jodhpur is as good as done after these two sights in half a day.

I then took a state transport bus to Osian village, 65 kms away, to visit a cluster of Hindu and Jain temples dating between 8th and 12th Centuries. After spending two hours here, I was very disappointed. Camel safaris into the desert also start from Osian. I was back in Jodhpur by 6 pm.

Comments

Popular Posts