Sunrise view of Golden Fort from Gadisar Lake

The best place for a tourist to begin his day in Jaisalmer is at Gadisar Lake. It is not exactly a sparkling clean body of water and if you can additionally endure the inquisitiveness of a couple of stray dogs, it is splendid spot for a bit of birding. Most probably you will be the only human soul prowling around here at seven in the morning; so the birds would tolerate and even indulge you. A Rajasthan Tourism sign board in terrible English points out that the imposing gateway to the lake was built by a courtesan.

Festooned around two sides of the lake are many little shrines and while gingerly negotiating my way, I suddenly heard a vigorous churning of the water very close to where I was on the lowermost step. At first glance it looked like a school of fish, but “Water Python” screamed out my subconscious. The coiling of the brown mass was distinct. The stray dog stood as transfixed and mute as me. The action lasted long enough to take good pictures and I kicked myself for not having the camera ready in my hand. This will remain etched in my memory for a long time to come. I have checked the images on Google and indeed it was a Water Python that I saw.

Very close to Gadisar Lake is a small hillock that provides one of the best views of the Golden Fort at sunrise. It is a sight not to be missed, if you are a photo buff.

Comments

Popular Posts