Two Fine Souls of Jaisalmer

In addition to the accidental sighting of the Water Python in Gadisar Lake early in the morning, two other interesting things happened during the course of the day.

While returning through the market after lunch, a voice suddenly hailed me and asked if I am enjoying Jaisalmer. I could have ignored the caller and walked on, but I did not. Something in his voice stopped me on my tracks. I turned back and told him straight in the face that Jaisalmer is very filthy. And that started a heart to heart 15 minute conversation with Ghanshyam Singh Khatri, the proprietor of Bhumika Handicraft Emporium. Mr. Jacky, as he is popularly known, agreed with my assessment and told me about the campaign he has launched with like minded souls to clean up the city. He is the local secretary of Youth Hostels and tomorrow morning he has organized a debate among high school children to increase the awareness about cleanliness in the city. More power to people like Mr. Jacky. My best wishes to him.


Later in the evening I was fortunate to meet N.K. Sharma, the founder of the Desert Cultural Centre. 76 year old Sharma, a retired history teacher, has built this centre from his pension amount. He has worked single handedly for the last 40 years to assemble a fine museum. There are daily puppet shows at the centre in the evening. A fine effort to keep alive a dying Rajasthani folk art. He has written a 75 page book “Jaisalmer – The Golden City”, which has been translated into many foreign languages. I picked up a copy for Rs100 and got it autographed by him. Sharmaji’s monumental effort in preserving Rajasthani folklore and traditions are very commendable. May he live long!

Mr. Jacky and Sharmaji made my day in Jaisalmer today.

Comments

Popular Posts